My Weight Loss Ticker

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Been awhile!

Wow, 2 months since my last post. I knew it had been awhile but didn't realize it had been that long!

I've had a lot on my mind the last 2 months and considered writing it down here but ultimately ended up have some cerebral conversations about what I wanted to say and left it at that.

Let's go back to October. Steph and I went to New Braunfels, Texas for vacation. It started out as a trip so that my SIL could meet a cyber friend of ours and ended up more as a vacation since the SIL couldn't wait to meet the guy and had already made a trip to Texas without us! We rented a really nice condo for the week we were there since it came out cheaper than getting a couple hotel rooms for the week. The girls ran a marathon, which was the original excuse my wife came up with to get her sister to Texas. ;-)

Now, I know that the United States had a large number of German immigrants but I had no idea that any of them settled in Texas. New Braunfels is one such Texas town. They take great pride in their German heritage and have an annual festival called Wurstfest which actually has a pretty large attendance with people dressed in Old World German costumes, etc... This makes for an interesting dichotomy, Kolache, Brats and Texas BBQ side by side.

We found an awesome little bakery called Sweet Dreams. They had delicious cupcake made with real sugar and butter. The icing was a butter creme with lots of subtle flavors, not too sweet. Probably just as well that there isn't anything like it around here! I think we stopped there 4 times in the week were there and we didn't discover it until we had been there a couple of days!

Steph and I both enjoy Texas a lot. Much better than Southern Illinois, not as good as Arizona. The weather was still warm there when we left the day before Halloween, with people still tubing down the river. Should give us something to think about for the next 6 months of winter here. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment